Apr 2, 2012

Interviewing for research purposes

As I keep saying, you should be on the constant look-out for stories, and using any spare moments to research fresh angles. It's a good idea to contact public relations executives in large organizations, even if you don't have a firm story idea or a commission. After all, such people are paid to influence media coverage, and almost all are more than happy to point journalists in what - for them and their masters - is the right direction.

This is how I approach PR people:

Dear Ms. Wilson,

My name is John Jones. I am a contributing writer for WESTERN WIDGETS, a monthly magazine that follows trends in the widget industry in Canada's West.

Alan Roberts, the magazine's editor (tel: 123-456-789; dondavis@westernwidgetsmag.com) has asked me to suggest ideas for articles, and as your company is an industry leader, I am hoping you can share with me your expectations and predictions for 2012.

I can be reached at this email address, or by telephone (98-654-321).

Yours sincerely,

John Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment